- 3 First Steps to Start Testing
- 10 Things you can do this year
Bonus: Book Givaways
E-commerce websites report an average conversion rate of 2.2%. Anything you want your customer to do on your website is considered a conversion.
The issue is that nobody ever things about the other 97.8%.
Companies on average spend more money on traffice acquisition than optimization (88:1). This is the wrong ratio.
If we had a budget of 100,000 the majority of that would be used on advertising and the remaining percentage was used on thinking about the business. This is so wrong.
A Case for Optimization
As companies, we spend more money on getting more people into the funnel instead of taking care of those already in the funnel.
C = M+rV+rO/F+A=>1
Conversion, Motivation, Relevance of value Prop, Revl of Offer, Friction, and Anxiety
Relevance = The right message to the right customer at the right time.
3 First Steps
- Believe in Data (this includes everyone in the company...hunches never trumps real data)
- You must Learn (Have/build the culture and always learning about your customer)
- Stay on Target (Know the keys for success and stay on that path. Know the metrics.)
10 Ideas To Use in 2012
- Don't treat everyone like it's their first visit (what you look for the second visit isn't the same as if it were you're first time)
- Create ways for visitors to self-select (track usage and optimize)
- Use geo-targeting to deliver relevant messages
- Speak their language (use the data to determine what's going on)
- Use online behavior to trigger marketing messages (should be built into CRM strategy)
- Use the weather (use weather widgets to offer specific items)
- Use dayparting in your Paid Search (if not, you should be. Hire data analysts!)
- Don't assume what works for others works for you (start with assumptions, but use data to prove it)
- Consider the device...and your data
- Use "relevant messaging" to meet goals
5 T's Of Testing
- Team (that's committed to testing)
- Trust (in the data and in the tests)
- Technology (have the right technology)
- Traffic (you have to have the volume to test)
- Time (give time to test)